19 de dezembro de 2008

especially Rebecca will like this, I believe

"How my Bovary infuriates me! Still, I am beginning to get out of the wood a little. Never in my life have I written anything harder than what I am doing now, a dialogue of trivialities! This inn scene, for all I know, is going to keep me for three months; I feel I want to cry sometimes, so helpless do I feel. But I'd rather die than scamp it. What I have to do is to bring five or six talking characters into the same conversation, several others whom they refer to, the place where they are, the whole of their district, whilst giving physical descriptions of people and things, and in the midst of all this to show a gentleman and a lady who, through a sympathy in their tastes, are just beginning to take a fancy to each other. If only I had more space! But it is essential that this should be quick without being bare, full without becoming clogged, and yet I have to hold back for later other details which would there be more striking...."

Gustave Flaubert to Louise Colet, late one Sunday night in 1852, resting after a bout with the "Lion d'Or" scene.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário